Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Downton Abby Fest

I was prompted to purchase Season 3 of Downton Abby yesterday when all the Facebook posts started coming across about Lady Edith. Worried that the "Lady Edith" whatever (I still didn't know if it was good or bad) would be revealed before I had a chance to watch it for myself, I decided to take action. This morning, promptly at 6:00 am, I started the Season 3 downloads on my computer. After a day at school in anticipation of a great evening of entertainment, I forced myself to exercise, warmed up some leftovers, poured myself a glass of wine and settled in for a 3 episode TV fest. What a great night!

My favorite character is Shirley Mac Lane as the American grandmother. She captures the subtle American mannerisms with her own Shirley Mac Lane twist. When she suggests they all have a picnic in the middle of castle, I laughed out loud. I can't tell you how many times I've suggested "outrageous" (they seem normal to me) ideas over here with my American optimism and matter-of-fact-ness only to be given looks like I was an alien from outer space. What I lack is Shirley's ability to suggest an idea with the assumption that it will be followed. My new hair color with its tinge of red and  some red lipstick should help with the empowerment.

Unfortunately, regarding Lady Edith saga, the Facebook posts did impact my viewing. I was able to predict the unfortunate outcome thus making it a little less enjoyable. But, I'm trying to remain vague enough to not spoil the show for my readers.

Although this post really has nothing to do with Turkey, it does show how I've changed my evening routine. I've never been much of a TV watcher, but lately I've discovered the pleasure in purchasing an entire HBO or PBS series on line and watching one hour (tonight's the exception) per weekday. The cost is less than monthly cable TV. I avoid commercials. I don't have the stress of programming those recording devices..I can't even remember what they're called. And, I only get to choose the exact moment I start watching.

By they way, I'm open for suggestions about other series. I've enjoyed Band of Brothers, Boardwalk Empire, Homeland, and, of course, Downton Abby. Anything I'm missing?



No comments:

Post a Comment