Wednesday, November 23, 2011
Sunday, November 20, 2011
Friday, November 18, 2011
Thursday, November 17, 2011
Sunday, November 13, 2011
1. Take 2 lbs of hamburger.
2. Grate 3 onions and kneed into the hamburger mixture.
3. Add 1 lb (or more) bulgur and knead into the meat.
4. Add oil until it feels right.
5. Add 1 cup of red chili paste and pomegranate sauce. Knead
6. Add 1 cup of mixed spices and 1 cup of black pepper and lots of salt. (They like salt here and buy it like we buy sugar)
7. Grate and add 10 cloves of garlic and 2 tomatoes.
8. Knead together.
9. Wipe the sweat off your brow. This is hard work.. almost 2 hours of kneading at this point.
9. Quarter one lemon and knead into the mixture.
10. Roll mixture into little cigars.
11. Pray that the onion juice and the lemon juice cooked the hamburger. Hopefully this is not my last blog entry.
Thursday, November 10, 2011
I've been noticing that many of my Facebook friends have been making daily posts of things for which they are thankful. I don't know if they are keeping some kind of gratitude journal like Oprah several years ago, or if it is another type of gratitude challenge but their posts have inspired me to do the same with my blog. As a matter of fact, I've been reminded of the words Cher used to sing, "You don't know what you've got till it's gone.." And, spending time in Abu Dhabi with Eric made me grateful for many of the small things that have been missing for the past few months. Here is my abridged list:
Speaking hours of idiomatic English with lots of phrasal verbs to Eric and not having to explain myself.
Eating French butter made with cream, not yogurt
Eating whole grain bread
Eating toasted whole grain bread
Drinking brewed coffee
Drinking wine and beer
Being a passenger in a car where I am not the only one wearing a seat belt.
Stopping for pedestrians in a crosswalk
Sleeping in a king- sized bed with luxurious cotton sheets
Showering without seeing holes in the tiles stuffed with trash bags
Playing tennis with Eric and winning
Adidas stores (They are amazing over here!)
Riding the Dubai metro and seeing three mega malls in one day..
Going to movies
Taking naps at the beach.
Listening to piano music in hotel lounges
Above all, I'm grateful that Eric encouraged me to accept a job overseas because, even though it's easy to dwell on the things that I miss, our lives have been enriched by this experience.