Monday, March 26, 2012

Making a Difference - Part 2

I host an adult conversation club on Monday evenings at the local coffee shop. It's a small group but the conversation is lively and I always learn a great deal about Turkey. Tonight, for example, we discussed the education bill proposed in the Turkish parliament to raise the compulsory age for school attendance from 8th to 12th grade. The bill also contains a component to allow home-schooling students with disabilities or girls from conservative families who may want to keep them home after puberty. I'll save further discussion for a future blog.

But, my reason for writing is that I was also thrilled to learn tonight from one of the attendees that he feels this conversation group is making his academic writing much easier and faster. Keep in mind these graduate students and professors must submit most of their writing in English. It must be pride or vanity, but I'm happy to think that I'm making a tiny difference one little step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment